Monday, January 30, 2012

Slowly and Obnoxiously Creepin Up on Me

February 14th. 
A day that I can't help but cringe to when I hear the date or hear someone talk about it.
Just to give you a little image in your head as to how I feel towards the holiday, Here is a picture for you to enjoy.

 
The expression on this little boys face is usually the way I feel when I walk into a CVS and see Valentine's Day stuff plastered onto everything

Now, it hasn't always been that way. I suppose I enjoyed making cute little paper mailboxes in elementary school and going around giving all my classmates Tweety Bird paper Valentines with a red lollipop attached to it that had a white heart on the sucker, and when you licked it you could give yourself a heart tattoo. ya know, those days were okay. But I am pretty sure once I entered Junior High, Valentine's Day started rubbing me the wrong way. Not a fan. And every year it just slowly creeps up on me.
Here I am, with my Christmas cheer slowly coming to an end, the next thing I know, BAM! every store in the world is covered in pink and red hearts!

Several people are always telling me, especially my mom, "You're just bitter and grumpy because you don't have anyone to celebrate it with." Lies.  I am telling you all now,well at least those few who actually read my blog, that the fact that I am not in a relationship is not the reason why Valentine's Day is at the bottom of my list of favorite holidays. I can tell you now that when ever the good Lord does bring an awesome man of God into my life and the relationship continues through Valentine's Day, I will not change my opinion on the holiday. And if this guy insists on participating on the holiday, I am going to kindly suggest if we could "celebrate" the following day.

Ya know, there is more to it as to why I'm not too crazy about the day. Another big reason is that I don't like that men and women feel the need to go all out and make sure that there significant other is well aware that they are loved. ya know? So many men stress about Valentine's day. "Oh it's Valentine's Day! I HAVE to buy my girlfriend/wife 12 long-stem red roses and a box of chocolate and some type of jewelry so she knows I love/care about her." No, you don't. My thing is, If you really care about your significant other you wouldn't just dedicate one day on making it known. You would give her flowers on any random day, just because. You would tell them everyday you loved them and find time out of everyday to spend with them. Which leads me to the whole reasoning of this post.

I am going to be honest with you. Lately I have been in a little dry spell with my relationship with the Lord. But this past week has been exactly what I needed to get motivated and get my heart pumpin for the Lord again. Talking about the Holy Spirit and really trying to understand how important it is to be living your life constantly submerged with the Holy Spirit, being loved on by my brothers and sisters in Christ and by watching this short little spoken word video. Some of you might have already seen it. But for those of you who haven't, I want to share it with you because, it is what sparked me to think of a brilliant idea to bring me to not think so negative towards Valentine's Day. If you are confused in anyway, watch the video, continue reading and hopefully I'll be able to wrap my thoughts up and it will all come together. :)


Alrighty, wasn't that great?
here are three lines he said that I just love.
•"become friends first before you ever become lovers,pursue Jesus as your foundation,before you get under the covers"
•"its not the love that sustains the promise its the promise that sustains the love"
and • "His death was a proposal, He wanted you no matter the cost,while some guys propose on one knee, Jesus proposed on a Cross."

It was that last one that got me. This whole video was just a great reminder of how much Jesus loves me. And his way of showing us was dying on the cross for us. He continues to love on us and shows us daily with his mercy and grace. I started thinking about how horrible I am about taking time out of everyday to spend it with Jesus. It doesn't mean that I do not love Him, but it is not always at the forefront of my mind. And it shouldn't be that way. Here I was complaining about people who take advantage of a day dedicated to showing their loved ones how much they really do care for them. Using Valentine's Day as a day to spend the whole day with their loved ones. When, the One who deserves a whole day dedicated to Him, showing Him exactly how much He means to me, is Jesus Christ. I should be spending everyday with Him. But I don't. Just like the average person does with their significant other. So, it kinda made me understand why some people do take advantage of the one day out of the year to go all out. Now, I am not saying that I still don't feel like the little boy in the picture. Because I do. But as I said, I can understand now and It's made it a little easier for me to not be the Grinch of Valentine's Day.

I have decided to participate in Valentine's Day. But not in the typical way of celebrating it. Instead, I want to use the 14th of February as a stepping stone. A day to dedicate to Jesus. A day to have a date with Jesus, a much needed date with Jesus. To be in constant prayer, to journal, to have a conversation with Him, to listen to Him, to see His beauty, and to show Him how much I love Him. Spend the entire day with Jesus.  Here is the curve ball. I don't want this to be just something to do every year on February 14th. Because then I would be doing exactly what I don't like about Valentine's day. I want it to be a day that encourages me to start the next day, and the day after that and so on, to find time to spend with Him. Whether it is for an hour or 30 minutes. As long as I get some time in to have some good quality Jesus Time.

I hope what I am trying to say is making sense. And if it does make any sense to anyone I hope that I have in some way encouraged you, or that God has spoken to you in anyway. The point isn't to do it because we have to or we need to. It should be because we want to and we have the desire to. When we have that desire, the outcome is so amazing. It allows us to grow, to mature and be in the Holy Spirit. And that is an incredible feeling.

♥L

1 comment:

  1. Hm. Before I write down any other opinion, I will say I somewhat approve of this. The courage it takes to tackle the task of trying to unravel the confusion of one's own bias toward anything, when it is engulfed in the chaos of your subconscious is a difficult thing to do.
    I don't like your perception of Valentine's day. The assumption that Valentine's day is all out, once a year purchase day for a significant other is preposterous. Realize that it is just another day in the year where a nice once in awhile gesture is extended. You aren't the only one out there that thinks loved ones should be shown they are appreciated throughout the year, and there are countless who act upon such knowledge regularly. Your father being a prime example of this. Shame on you for being so narrow minded. Your mother is right in that you are jaded in your perception, but not right in how, only in why. And that will be a good thing in time, that you can experience the 'Eureka!' moment after not likin' the day so much.
    I didn't watch the video, because regardless of what it says, I'm more interested in what you had to say about it, and how it affected your thoughts. So I must say, I do think I like your idea behind spending time with our Lord everyday, whether it be 30 minutes or several hours just gettin' to know Him a little more. Or a lot more. Yes, this should be standard Christian living, and for many it is a way of life already, and you already knew this as truth, but that this is the time for you to be spurred into action, that is a mild encouragement to me. It's sort of like when you try to teach something to someone several ways, and when you only have a few methods left, they finally get it, and you go 'Yeah. Awesome.' So, I applaud for a short duration your implicated dedication of daily time to Him who deserves all praise. Continue to evolve in Him, so that newer believers like myself have another person to look forward to, in our walk toward the Christ, and against the force of this world.

    ReplyDelete